Friday, October 31, 2008

Indescribable

This past Wednesday was the M28 Indescribable meeting. We watched Louie Giglio teach about God through showing us the heavens...the amazing work of God's hands and it just made me feel so small and so amazed at the glory of God and how big he is! He can hold the entirety of the heavens (all the galaxies we know of and the bazillions that we don't) in the span of his hand...(and I thought I had big hands)I'm not sure if you can see it but this is called the Pale Blue Dot...Voyager 1 had been sent into space to get pictures of each planet, and the command center asked that they turn around and get a snapshot of all the planets that they had passed. Well one picture surfaced and it at first looked like just rays of light...and they are but in a ray of sunlight they found a dot...that dot, that tiny speck is called earth, captured in a ray of sunlight.In a commencement address delivered May 11, 1996, Sagan related his thoughts on the deeper meaning of the photograph:
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."


WOW...wow...and again just wow! Makes you ponder the greatness of God if we are really that small huh? This next pic is our Milky Way Galaxy...this is where we live...but I want you to notice that the center of the spiral...that's not us...God is just further pointing out that we are NOT the center of the world...we aren't even the center of our own GALAXY =)(if you can't read the caption is says "this little star is our Sun in the Milky Way. As you can see there are millions of stars in just our galaxy. Now. Imagine the rest of the Universe!!!") and this next picture...the arrow is pointing to earth...yeah, homeThis is the sun (no joke right!) and the surface of the sun...can we say HOT! (aren't you grateful that God didn't put us any closer!?)Stars :) This next pic is Spiral Galaxy M74...often called the Beauty...but in the center is something amazing...another evidence of God's hand in creation.
A Cross in the center of a galaxy...scientists call it an X but you can see as well as I can the real picture.
Earlier the same day I had come across a song that really made me think. It's called "What do I know of Holy?" by Addison Road (just the name of the song perked my interest and I was not disappointed when I listened to it...)

What Do I Know Of Holy?
by Addison Road

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?
(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees
(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

(CHORUS 2)
What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?
And a God who gave life it's name?
What do I know of Holy?
Of the One who the angels praise?
All creation knows Your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love?

(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of Holy?

3 comments:

Robin said...

most excellent!!!! we need to visualize this many times throughout our day when we complain because we are not even the center of our own little universe!!! great thoughts...can't wait to listen to the msg! love you!

Emily S. said...

I loved that message! It's so amazing that a God so big would call us by name when we are so small.

Morgan said...

wow, thats incredible!!! it made me realize again how small i am compared to Him!

and that song is amazing.