Saturday, March 26, 2011

Connected to the Source

Remember a few weeks ago when I was talking about the main purpose of our lives is to Know God? Well, Tyson talked about it again one Sunday night...(the first time was at a bible study). Even though I'd heard it before, this time, the point that really stood out to me was that we need to be Connected to the Source. We were created to be fruitful and multiply right? Well, that means that we need to be fruitful in our lives...in our growth(bearing fruit)...and multiply the fruit in our lives. I keep thinking of the passage in John 15 that says in verse 5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
If we're to grow and bear fruit...we have to remain connected to the source...dig our roots deep...If we aren't connected to the source, then we can't produce fruit or subdue the problems that arise in our lives. If we are connected to the source...then we can't help but produce good fruit. I feel like sometimes I only have surface roots...or new roots. I mean, i've grown up in the church and I know all the stories and can talk the talk with the best of them...but I wonder sometimes if my roots are deep enough to withstand...I want to dig deeper, I want to get more connected to my source. The more you know him, the more you become like him. I want my branches (the fruit in my life) to match my roots. I want to be rooted in Him.

1 comment:

Cara said...

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the council of the wicked, nor stand in the way of sinners, nor sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the Law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day & night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season & whose leaf does not wither." (Ps 1) We watched a video recently of a guy commenting on the Bible in Israel. He said the picture in this psalm is of a certain kind of tree (I forget what kind - olive maybe?) that grows in wadis, dried up river beds. The ground looks dry and hard and very uninviting, but the tree is healthy and strong. Why? Because there is rivers underground there. You can't see the water, but you know it must be there because the trees are fruitful. Isn't that cool?