Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Everything Matters

Psalm 139:13-18 - For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—when I awake, I am still with you.
We spend most of our lives living for the "big things"...the promotions, the incredible evangelism opportunities, the public acts...but there's a problem with that...it's not the big stuff...it's the little stuff, the things that no one notices that matter most. Our life is made or broken in the small things - not the big things.

Take the human body for instance...I've read the passage from Psalm 139 many times in my life. I'd read a million times that God knit me together...and I understood the general principle and the detail of that because I'd grown up watching my grandmas knit and crochet. However, it wasn't until my dad and I took a trip to Discovery Place to visit Dr. Gunther Von Hagens' Body Worlds exhibit that I truly understood the miraculousness of this verse. I have never been so in awe of God or so keenly aware of the "little things" than I had standing in front of the displays that night.

One particular display(< click to view) completely astounded me...and I will never forget it. It was a human head. But not how you might think. There was no skin...no skull...no eyes...no lips...nothing...except the veins, arteries and capillaries that are in the human head...I will never forget it. It was easily recognizable as a human head by the shape...but it was just this insane mass of tiny tiny red lines.
It was in that moment, staring at the display, that I understood the gravity of that verse. Our bodies couldn't function without the tiniest of things...and God took all that time to make ME! He KNIT me together! God spent that much time and effort making sure the tiniest things in my body were made just right so that I could function...so that I could praise him just how he wanted me to praise him. But what makes it even more exciting, is that you aren't just another number or another face in the crowd...God specifically designed and created and loves YOU! His thoughts about you are too many to number! He is constantly thinking of you and me...individually...specifically. You are the apple of God's eye...
Revelation 4:11 - “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”
God didn't create us to have half of us...he created you to have all of you...the big and the little moments in life. The little things matter to God otherwise he wouldn't have taken so much time into creating us...knitting us together.  Every situation in your life means something to God...it all matters to him - even when we forget him - his thoughts and love towards us doesn't change.

Sometimes we forget the details because the people around us don't love us like God does and it will confuse us. But if he spent that much time into creating you...every little detail...how can he just stop caring about you...even in the moments where you are struggling and you think he doesn't care...that's when he cares the most! In the hard times, we forget all the good that God does for us and we get all bent out of shape because little inconveniences overwhelm our world and we push God out. But we need to remember that if we're going to live our lives for him in the big moments when everyone is looking...we better be ready to back it up when no one else is around.
2 Corinthians 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

If you live your life like things don't matter - you'll have a rude awakening on judgement day...this life is a gift - it's not my own...not mine to mess up because it's been bought with a price. Remember who your God is...worship him in the small insignificant things in your life as well as the big things.
1 Corinthians 4:3-5 - I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

On judgement day - it's not just about the outward things either...God doesn't just care about the little things, but he cares about the motives behind everything we do. What you're doing and why you're doing it. You might be able to fool everyone else (including yourself at times)...but think...do you serve him out of love or to get something in return? We tend to think that life, salvation, and the cross are all about us...but we don't live to die and go to heaven...we live to know him and to be his reflection. If knowing and honoring and worshipping and loving God isn't your goal...then your motives are selfish. Examine your motives in the big things and the small things...the things everyone can see and the things that happen when you're alone.

Every moment of your life matters...every word, every thought, every gesture, every act, everything we do, say, watch, listen to...it all matters. Your life is significant to God - you are not random or a misfit...you are right where you belong.

No comments: