Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No holding back...

Worship...what is worship? God is raising up a generation of worshippers...people who will worship Him in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:23-24) Worshippers worship Him not just with our mouths but with our lives. People who are willing to lay it all down in order to glorify His name...our lives are but a vapor and we should live them accordingly.

Will you give your entire live and devote it to worshipping him? Will you give up your name for his name? Will you allow him to use you? Or will you wait...saying "I want to have fun" and then look back and wish you had done more? This is the ONLY chance you get. No do-overs.

Luke 7:36-50 tells about when Jesus was anointed by the sinful woman...the one who washed his feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. In that moment...it was the truest form of worship...and the man whom Jesus was visiting with was appalled...appalled because he was so busy with the rules and regulations of worship that they forgot how to actually worship.

A true worshipper - is the broken and hurting...the ones who realize that God is the only thing they have left...the ones who are in need...not the pretty and perfect. God looks deeper than the surface...he wants you to worship with what you have. Worship isn't external...it's not about looking pretty or raising your hands...it's a reflection of what's going on inside of you.

Matthew 10:39 says "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it" Worship isn't about you...even when you don't feel like worshipping or raising your hands or when you've had a bad day...He still deserves worship...your worship.

Worship is your heart giving praise and glory to God...it's communication with God. Don't just look at the words on the screen, talk to God...It's not about who is in the room or who is on the stage - it's about who is on the throne and your worship should reflect that.

We get so caught up in looking the part - singing, raising our hands...that we forget where we've come from. We become self-righteous and judgemental...judging everyone else...but if you remembered where you come from - you'd look at yourself...and love others. Who are we to judge anyone else? Worship is a place to remember where you come from...remember your weakness and your need in the presence of the greatness of God. In the story of the sinful woman...Jesus addressed Simon(the man he was visiting)...but he not only addressed Simon...he addressed Simon's thoughts.

v.41-47 "Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”
Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”
“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.
Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
Her love for Him was greater because Simon was being self-righteous...she remembered where she came from - her sin, her brokenness - and her worship was greater. When you remember your sin - it makes your worship all the more sweet. Give it all to God...don't hold back...don't let your pride and self-righteousness get in the way of your worship. This is the only life you get...live it sold out for God...don't give yourself an opportunity to regret not doing enough for Him.

 "I love you, Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship You
Oh, my soul rejoice!
Take joy my King
In what You hear
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear"

1 comment:

Cara said...

That song (at the bottom) has become my love song to God lately - my default when I can't think of anything to say - my remembrance of what is true when I forget. It's so simple, but the declaration is both essential and sweet.