Saturday, September 3, 2011

EPIC

Tuesday night I had the opportunity to visit Campus Crusade for the first time. I got to meet the speaker, Darren Russo and I saw a number of people from C4 there as well. Campus Crusade exists so that every student has the chance to hear and respond to the gospel.

The night I visited was the 2nd part of a series called EPIC...about the intersection of our story and God's story. Your story is only as small in your own mind as you think it is...but in reality...our story is far bigger. We are a part of an epic story, you aren't accidentally a part of this story...you are intentionally a part of this story. God designed your life for so much more than you could ever come up with on your own.
Isaiah 6:1-7 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!" Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for."
Unclean lips is symbolic of what's going on inside of you. (Matthew 12:34 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.) The behavior isn't the start...it's about the heart. The behavior is a symptom of the sin of your heart. Many times we seek pleasure outside of God...and that is sin. But God is just and gracious to forgive us if we just come to him. He can change your heart.

If you put yourself in Isaiah's place, you might think that in that situation...in front of God...your only response would be completely worship. What Isaiah saw stirred in him something uniquely different from praise though. "Woe is me" In that moment, Isaiah was overwhelmed with an awareness of his mortality. (Romans 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?) In that moment, Isaiah was so aware of his imperfection...he stood ready for judgement, ready for punishment...but instead, he received grace.

Our sinfulness and God's grace...our need and his completeness...He is all we need...just come humbly to him, worship him, know him...he will give you the strength to stand and walk this life.

No comments: