Sunday, September 25, 2011

Perfect Collision

When you were a kid, what did you want to be? Most of us would say something like fireman, president, ninja...something that we perceived as great.

Overtime that perception changed and along with it what we aspired to grow to be. Even in that change overtime, we still want to be great and happy...that's where Christ comes in.



Christ's complexity corresponds perfectly with our lack of simplicity.

First: Our lack of simplicity(The "I want to be a *fill in something great*) is our desire to be something great...to make a difference...to have our lives be worth something. To be able to sustain and provide for the life we want to live. The only problem is that we start with something great, but we eventually over time lower the standard because we don't have what it takes. We desire much but we tell ourselves that we'll never make it. It's like being on a roller coaster...we aim high...but eventually come down...desire much, but weary easily.

Secondly: Christ's complexity...he is the lion-like lamb and the lamb-like lion. You're probably reading this and looking all confused...like "how does that even work? it's a complete oxymoron." Hold with me here....now, if you've ever seen the movie Gladiator, recall the clip when Maximus introduces himself. That scene is one of the most powerful in the movie(at least what I thought).
What I'm trying to get at here though, is the role that Maximus represents. In that moment, he is fierce, he is there to execute justice...but he's also there to bring hope. Christ is very much similar to this.
Matthew 21:12-14 And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. He said to them, "It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer,' but you make it a den of robbers." And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple, and he healed them.
Basically Jesus came into the city and was honored and revered because of what he has done for us...and then he goes into the temple and throws everyone out! He has the power to execute perfect justice and would not stand for evil in his house. He is our Lion-like Lamb and our Lamb-like Lion...he was the sacrifice, just a normal man...but he brought hope...his justice is perfect and he has no mercy on evil.

Now...put the two together, our lack of simplicity and Christ's complexity. They correspond perfectly and mesh together. When we desire much, Christ says "I am much"...and when we weary easily, he is there...our sustainer and provider. He meets us where we are, we are to rest in his power and acknowledge him.

Our Lamb-like Lion:
Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
He has ALL power...and he is with us always!  But so often we just ignore him...even when we need him most. We spend our lives trying to find fulfillment in all the wrong places.

At times we can be stuck in passivity - we don't want to be uncomfortable, we don't want to be judged...and we don't want people to think of us as "that Jesus freak."

Sometimes we are stuck in self worth - We need to be approved of and need to be loved.
Jesus loves you perfectly all of the time, he won't let you down. Our worth is found in Jesus and not what sinners think. Don't waste your life trying to find your worth in the eyes of a sinner.
We can be stuck in control...we feel like we have to be in control...all authority in heaven and earth was given to Christ.  There isn't room for 2 people with all authority...give it up to him.

Often we get stuck in selfishness and greed...we want what's best for us. Our comfort..."What do I get out of it?" We judge things, people, situations based on what we want...what's good for me. (In short...me-ism)

When we get stuck, we can't turn our backs on God...he has all authority, all control...all we need.

Our Lion-like Lamb:
Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth.
He was on trial...many people had sat before him screaming "crucify him!"...but he was silent. He drew near to us when we didn't acknowledge him...he died, he was murdered so that we could draw near to him.

When we get stressed or tired or feel like we can't do it on our own...stop ignoring him when he's right there to help you through it! Pray, give it up...he is our strength...so stop pretending to be strong on your own. Are you going to turn toward him or away from him? Do you claim him on Sundays but forget about him the rest of the week? Claim him every day...acknowledge him. Christ's complexity corresponds perfectly with our lack of simplicity.

From the Inside Out
by Hillsong United


Still your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame

My heart and my soul, I give You control
Consume me from the inside out Lord
Let justice and praise, become my embrace
To love You from the inside out

Your will above all else, my purpose remains
The art of losing myself in bringing you praise

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame

My heart, my soul, Lord I give you control
Consume me from the inside out Lord
Let justice and praise become my embrace
To love You from the inside out

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out, O my soul cries out

My Soul cries out to You
My Soul cries out to You
to You, to You

My heart, my soul, Lord I give you control
Consume me from the inside out Lord
Let justice and praise become my embrace
To love You from the inside out

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out, O my soul cries out

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out, O my soul cries out
From the inside out, O my soul cries out
From the inside out, O my soul cries out. 

No comments: