Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where Do I Go From Here?


Have you ever been lost...or even just felt lost? We've all experienced it at some point in life...we've all stood at the crossroads and pondered which way we should go...which direction we should turn...what will happen if____. We've all been there. It's not an uncommon place to be...whether it's about work or school or relationships...trust me, you're not alone.

Sunday at C4, we looked at 4 crossroads in the life of King David. For a man after God's own heart, he seemed to hit those crossroads pretty often. But I think the key with David...was that he kept pursuing what God had for him, even when he was facing the unknown.

Crossroad #1 (Trusting God's call on our lives)
1 Samuel 16:6-13 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely the LORD’s anointed stands here before the LORD.” But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” Then Jesse called Abinadab and had him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, “The LORD has not chosen this one either.” Jesse then had Shammah pass by, but Samuel said, “Nor has the LORD chosen this one.” Jesse had seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, “The LORD has not chosen these.” So he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” "There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered. “He is tending the sheep.” Samuel said, “Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives.” So he sent for him and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the LORD said, “Rise and anoint him; this is the one.” So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.
David was the runt of the litter, he was the little brother that typically just got in the way...but God saw his heart. It didn't matter that David was small...God knew that he would be great. Even when you don't feel chosen or equipped...God has a purpose for your life.

God's purpose is found in Matthew 28...to go and make disciples of all nations. Like us sometimes, Moses didn't feel like God had picked the right person for the job.
Exodus 4:1-2 Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The LORD did not appear to you’?”  Then the LORD said to him, “What is that in your hand?”
"What is that in your hand?" - That's all God has to say...you don't have to have some sort of huge major piece of equipment or have a degree from seminary...all you have to do is use what God has put in your hand. The things that God gave you that you thought were just ordinary abilities is what God wants you to use. Stop waiting for something else from God...he's already given you all that you need. He provides for your purpose. Use what God gave you.

David trusted...God told him he was going to be king but David didn't wait for a crown to begin preparing. He went back to the flock of sheep and picked up the sling and practiced. His faithful practice in protecting the sheep prepared him for when a lion came...and again when a bear came. He used what God gave him and God used him to defeat Goliath and the Philistine army. Many are called...few are chosen. Are you going to let the promise die or are you going to stand up and use what you have in your hand?

Crossroad #2 (Forgiving those who hurt us)
1 Samuel 19:9-10 But an evil spirit from the LORD came on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. While David was playing the lyre, Saul tried to pin him to the wall with his spear, but David eluded him as Saul drove the spear into the wall.
David felt rejection and betrayal. Sometimes we feel all alone like we have no allies. But remember that the Lord is always on our side.
Psalm 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me.
When all hell breaks loose in your life, know that God perfects all things...he sees the end from the beginning. Difficulties were made to draw you back to God. We sometimes spend our lives hopping from meeting to meeting...our lives are great on Sunday...but on Tuesday our attitude is one of despair. Take control of your feelings, we were called to walk by faith and not by our sight or feelings.
Ecclesiastes 3:11a He has made everything beautiful in its time.
Trust, believe, and know that he is with you.  In Matthew 28 God says "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."



Crossroad #3 (Confessing our sin to God)
2 Samuel 11:2-4a One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.” Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her.
Not only is David now a King but he is also an adulterer and murderer...he slept with a woman who was not his wife, ended up fathering a child...and in his efforts to keep his sin concealed, killed her husband who was a loyal man serving in King David's army.

Sometimes we do things that we regret..."I can't believe I did that." "I just jacked my life up." "I can't believe I let that happen." But remember that everything we go through is common to man. We have to confess to God and to one another. David confessed his sin to his friend Nathan
2 Samuel 12:13-14 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan replied, “The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for the LORD, the son born to you will die.”
A saint is nothing more than a sinner who fell down and got up again. We have to get up, move forward and never go back. Confess your sin and turn from it. Jesus' blood is enough.

Crossroad #4 (Worship while suffering)
2 Samuel 18:31-33 Then the Cushite arrived and said, “My lord the king, hear the good news! The LORD has vindicated you today by delivering you from the hand of all who rose up against you.”  The king asked the Cushite, “Is the young man Absalom safe?” The Cushite replied, “May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rise up to harm you be like that young man.” The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept. As he went, he said: “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!”
David's son was dead...he, like many of us have experienced the loss of a loved one. But David took refuge in God.
Psalm 31 In you, LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Keep me free from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, LORD, my faithful God. I hate those who cling to worthless idols; as for me, I trust in the LORD. I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction
and knew the anguish of my soul. You have not given me into the hands of the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place. Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief. My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak. Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors and an object of dread to my closest friends—those who see me on the street flee from me. I am forgotten as though I were dead; I have become like broken pottery. For I hear many whispering, “Terror on every side!” They conspire against me and plot to take my life. But I trust in you, LORD; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love. Let me not be put to shame, LORD, for I have cried out to you; but let the wicked be put to shame and be silent in the realm of the dead. Let their lying lips be silenced, for with pride and contempt they speak arrogantly against the righteous.How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you. In the shelter of your presence you hide them from all human intrigues; you keep them safe in your dwelling from accusing tongues. Praise be to the LORD, for he showed me the wonders of his love when I was in a city under siege. In my alarm I said, “I am cut off from your sight!” Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help. Love the LORD, all his faithful people! The LORD preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.
There is no situation to desperate for God. Like David, we are to worship in the moments of our greatest tragedies...God will take care of us no matter where we are. At every crossroad in your life, no matter what you've been through or what you are facing...the answer is God

No comments: