Friday, January 13, 2012

Passion 2012, Session 2

Luke 8:40-55 tells the story of Jesus healing a woman with a 12 year long bleeding disorder when she fights through the crowd just to touch the hem of the garment he was wearing. It's one of the most well known stories in the bible, but I had never really given it that much thought until the other day.

The trauma of this woman's bleeding issue made her spiritually, socially, physically, and emotionally defiled. She would have been a complete outcast and not only was she unclean herself, but everything she touched would also become unclean. And I wonder how many times I can relate to that, how many times I thought that whatever happened in my past or whatever sins I had committed made me feel less than human. I wonder if I'm the only one when I know for a fact that I'm not alone.

It reminds me of the one scene in the one movie that never fails to make me cry out of the sheer honesty of the moment. It's the line in Edward Scissorhands that goes, "You can't touch anything without destroying it!" Sin has a way of ripping our souls apart and isolating us. We like to keep our sins a secret.

What tends to be true though is that our greatest need for healing is in the places that we most want hidden. We think that if people truly saw our hearts, they'd see too much, right? We are as sick as our secrets, as the saying goes. The only way to be healed is to bring everything into the light.

And that might make us feel like the woman in the story, that we are too unclean or broken for God to heal us, or even want to heal us. But, just like in the story, the woman didn't make Jesus unclean, He made her clean. Even after healing the woman, Jesus still had enough power to raise Jairus's daughter from the dead. God doesn't have limited resources, and as long as you feel unclean, you're not going to be able to let Him do what He came to do for you because you won't draw near to Him.

The story began and ended with Jairus's daughter and was interrupted with the bleeding woman (both stories being twelve years in the making). We live our lives sandwiched between the greater needs of the world, but that doesn't mean that our stories are not important to God. The woman didn't go unnoticed to Jesus, and neither will you.

No comments: