Sunday, January 22, 2012

Simple Faith


Two weeks ago, Jon Shea began to share his heart with Mission 28. His message really reminded me of Alex and Brett Harris' book Do Hard Things. I truly think every young person should read this book. What Jon and the Harris brothers both mention is our generation's lack of contribution. Even as 'smart' as we are now with technology and information, we are a truly 'dumb' generation. In comparison with past generations...what have we contributed to our culture? What have we offered to the world besides Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr? Anything significant? Anything that changed the world or made an impact? No...not really.

So what happened? Well, instead of the Church reaching out into the world with the gospel...the world has snuck in through subliminal messages in our media and surroundings and has slowly started to weaken Christians. The modern, cultural Church today follows some hippie-look-alike, all loving God. Christians today get get burnt out and disillusioned. The world is making more of an impact than God's word.

Acts is full of things Christians need to be reminded of on a daily basis. We should study Jesus ministry and make it our own.

One thing that really stuck out to me from Jon's message is that the disciples KNEW Jesus. Personally. They saw him walk, they saw him live, they saw him teach, they saw him die, and they saw him return. These disciples proclaimed to the world someone they KNEW. Do you know Jesus like that? I have to admit that I don't think I do. I've been in church all of my life, I've seen things in the last year that I know could only be God, I've seen him show himself to me...but do I proclaim Jesus to the world like I know him? Do you believe Jesus did what he did specifically for you? That life he lived, he lived for you. That death he died, he died for you.

The world will try to tell you that it's a crutch or a system for weak people...but it's not. It's real. Do you believe it's real? Jesus is real...what he came here to do was real. Do you believe it? All it takes is simple faith.

No comments: