Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Changed...

A couple of months ago, I made the confession that Bible reading wasn't a top priority or even an interest for me. A couple of months ago, I didn't truly care whether my relationship with God grew or not. It was like I was just looking to Him for a ticket to salvation and not a personal God that was leading my life. In my mind, I guess I'd never wanted to rely on someone else, never wanted my life in someone else's hands because I wasn't used to having to trust anyone, much less a higher power. A couple of months ago, I was under the delusion that I could take care of myself and make things happen without God's help, so why would I read the Bible?

So what's changed between then and now? I've asked myself this question a lot lately. Have the words in the Bible somehow magically rearranged themselves into a story that's more entertaining? No. They're the same words that have been there for thousands of years. It's my heart and mindset toward God and scripture that's changed.

I've gone from overtly disobeying God and His call to scripture and not caring to hurrying to get home just so I can open a Bible and do my daily devotional. That's crazy! Even as I'm typing this, I'm having to do a couple of double takes and thought breaks to make sure I'm still talking about myself here, because it quite honestly sounds like some canned Christian line people put in Bible camp brochures. But I'm being completely serious here.

I think it started for me during and a little while after the Passion2012 conference. When they first did the session where they read the book of Ephesians, my first thought was... "They're seriously going to waste an entire session with reading the bible, and that's it?" Terrible, I know, but stick with me here. Like I posted in January, I was soon really moved by the way the leaders were reading the Bible, especially Lecrae. I mean, he reads scripture with as much enthusiasm and passion that he raps with! That was a revolutionary concept that really stuck with me. That was when I started to wonder how I could have that kind of zeal for God's word and what it would be like and look like if I had it.

Then came Rekindle earlier this month. Before going I prayed and had other people pray for me that God would reveal more of Himself to me and that I could get a renewed passion for Him. And let me tell you, that prayer was answered and then some, because for the first time, my heart was really in it.

Joe Lechner's second message on the call to discipleship was what made the gears in my head really start turning. He challenged us to take off the cruise control in our Christian lives, to stop basing our passion for God on the level of passion that others have for Him and to go NASCAR. He told us to not be passive about our responsibility to obey and be like Jesus.

I've been seriously convicted of being worse than passive about obeying God's call to studying scripture. In fact, much more than that, I was passive about everything in my Christian life. I was doing the bare minimum that I thought I could get away with. I didn't want to need God.

But you know what? That's not good enough for me anymore. I'm tired of always expecting life as usual, tired of settling for the mundane. Ephesians has taught me that God has given me a calling that's so great that it has to be lived up to, that my life has to be worthy of it. That's exciting for me! For once in my life, I have something more to live up to than a softball trophy or an A on my report card.  I have this greater purpose, a calling from God established before the foundations of the world! And I want to start living like it. And consistent, daily devotions and scripture reading, I think, is the first step.

God's given me a complete change in course and a passion to follow His will and I couldn't be more excited about it. I've been totally wrecked this year and I have a feeling that something big is going to be the result of all of this, because in my experience, this is what God does to prepare His children for groundbreaking things in His name. So I just pray that it continues in my life and in the lives of the people around me, and I hope it's brought some encouragement to you guys out there to be passionately pursuing Christ!

Live Like That
by: Sidewalk Prophets

Sometimes I think
What will people say of me
When I'm only just a memory
When I'm home where my soul belongs

Was I love
When no one else would show up
Was I Jesus to the least of those
Was my worship more than just a song

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that
I want to live like that

Am I proof
That You are who you say You are
That grace can really change a heart
Do I live like Your love is true

People pass
And even if they don't know my name
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that

I want to show the world the love You gave for me
I'm longing for the world to know the glory of the King

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that
I want to live like that

1 comment:

Cara said...

SOOOO neat to hear what God is doing in you! It inspires me :-)