Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rekindle in Review

This was the fourth Rekindle I had been to since I started going to Mission28, but I think it was the first one in which I felt God really move in a substantial way in the people down there. Before leaving for Florida, I had been praying for God to show me a lot more of Himself and become more real and personal to me and I have to say that I definitely got what I prayed for. I am so thankful.

The theme of this year's Rekindle was "Christ is All", it was all about what it means and looks like to be a disciple of Christ. The messages honestly could not have come at a better time.

Jon Shea talked to us about the "Foundation of Discipleship". He said the most important thing about following Christ is that Christ should be our absolute all, number one, center of our lives. We need a vision of radical discipleship and a passion for pursuing a mature Christian relationship with God. We do this through partnership with fellow Christians through a local church and proclamation of the gospel in day to day life. He also talked to us about "The Disciple's Daily Task". He gave us simple, easy-to-follow ways to live out the gospel through everything that we do. The two main ways were to focus on Christ, rejoicing in who He is, what He's done, and aligning our thoughts with God's; and to trust in God's provision.

Mickey Connolly spoke about the "Model of Discipleship". This message was all about how we are called to be humbly unified with other believers in the context of a local church and single-mindedly focused on the gospel, as mentioned earlier in Jon's first message. One question that stood out to me was "How can I make much of others, so they can make much of Jesus?". The other message Mickey spoke on was the "Prize of Discipleship". This one was about giving up everything we are now so we can become everything God wants us to be. What really matters is a life changing encounter with Christ that leads to a life saving quest.

As usual, Joe Lechner's messages were the ones that really stuck with me. First, he talked to us about the "Essence of Discipleship". He gave us a challenge during this one to be unashamed, unafraid, and united, courageously living like Christ is all, no matter what it might cost us. He challenged us to be completely sold out for the gospel, but more than that, he told us to live our lives worthy of the gospel, putting our actions and words through the filter of Christ. He was trying to get Philippians 1:21 through to us that "to live is Christ and to die is gain" ("dying as gain" isn't really something college kids give much thought to). Joe's second message was our "Call to Discipleship". In this message, Joe used a racing analogy. He told us that we need to get off our safe, easy cruise-controlled Christian life where we don't stand out and we let other people determine how "on fire" we get for God; we need to be "going NASCAR, totally focused on the race, foot on the gas, pushing our Christian lives to the limit without crashing, making an all out effort to obey Christ.

I think the biggest take away that I got from Rekindle is that as Christians, we show people Christ whether we recognize it or not, whether we try to or not. The catch is that we show people our view of Christ, which means 2 things: 1. We need to have the right view of Christ to project the right view of Christ. 2. We need to start being conscious of the fact that there are other people in the world, a lot of them needing the truth, not some watered down, cookie cutter, easy, safe, largely hypocritical God.

By our lives, we can point people to the truth of God, or we can show off God as a liar because whether we know it or not, we are luminaries of the gospel. We need to start living like it. We need a vision of radical discipleship and a passion for pursuing a mature Christian relationship with God so that we can live boldly sold out for the gospel, no matter what it might cost us.

I never feel the best about leaving the nice little, tightly knit, Christian community that Rekindle always turns into, no one ever does, but a good friend of mine told me "There's a whole world out there" and they need what we had found at Rekindle. That's really helped my attitude and drive for missions.

So, since coming back home and getting back to job applications and daily routines, I have to say that I haven't at all lost the passion and enthusiasm for the mission that God's been stirring in me these last few months. I've kept the discipline and focus of putting Christ as number one and my outlook and life in general has been better for it. I'm super excited about the things God has in store for the campus and, for that matter, the city of Charlotte in the days ahead and how He may be using my life and the lives of everyone else that went to Rekindle to further the gospel.

For Such A Time As This
by Wayne Watson

Now, all I have is now
To be faithful
To be holy
And to shine
Lighting up the darkness
Right now, I really have no choice
But to voice the truth to the nations
A generation looking for God

For such a time as this
I was placed upon the earth
To hear the voice of God
And do His will
Whatever it is

For such a time as this
For now and all the days He gives
I am here, I am here
And I am His
For such a time as this

You - Do you ever wonder why
Seems like the grass is always greener
Under everybody else's sky
But right here, right here for this time and place
You can live a mirror of His mercy
A forgiven image of grace

Can't change what's happened till now
But we can change what will be
By living in holiness
That the world will see Jesus

1 comment:

Cara said...

Amen! May your passion and dedication continue! And may mine enter my awareness again... "the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable"