Monday, April 9, 2012

To know and follow hard after You

Well, God really likes to work in my heart at random times...especially when I'm driving. Gotta love having an epiphany while you're going 65mph down I-77.
Anyway, I was getting ready to leave the house today and my Passion: White Flag CD was playing in my car...I remembered that we had another Passion CD from ages ago somewhere in the house. I don't know what came over me but I got out of the car and ran back into the house to look for this CD even though I needed to leave for work. Thankfully, I found it and was back on my way to work. As the Passion: One Day CD began to play, I was immediately overwhelmed by the sound of worship. I don't know if it's specifically Passion or if it's just the sound of live worship, but I was immediately moved.

Passion: One Day was back in 2000...I was just 9 years old. Needless to say, a lot of the songs on the CD are songs that I remember singing when I was a kid. Usually, when I hear one of those songs, I tend to just laugh and say "wow that brings back memories" and press the skip button. For whatever reason though, today as I was hearing these songs...I couldn't bypass them. Specifically when 'One Pure and Holy Passion' came on. As is typical, I kind of laughed and said "flashback" but then something really struck me about the song. It might be an older song...it might be a simple song...it might even sound corny compared to some of today's worship songs...but the lyrics still ring true. More importantly, it embodies everything that the Christian life is about and everything we've been hearing about at M28 and CrossWay.

One Pure and Holy Passion
performed by Candi Pearson

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me on magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You

To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after you
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in the truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you

Lord to know and follow hard after you
And to grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you

As this song played, I was again overwhelmed and I just started crying. Too often, 'to know and follow hard' is not the first thing on my mind every day. Too often, I get so concerned with the daily schedule and planning and getting from place to place and what I'm going to need to take with me when I leave the house...that knowing and following hard after God and growing as a disciple is the last thing on my mind. It really sucks to realize that. Even though I'm a Christian and involved in college ministry and all that good stuff...too often, He is an afterthought. It was such a wake-up call to hear that song today, God really opened my eyes.

This song may be a flashback for you too...but take the time to really consider what it's saying. God can use something as simple as a song on your way home from work to reveal your heart to you. Let this be your prayer today. God, give me one pure and holy passion, a magnificent obsession, a glorious ambition for my life...and let it be only this: to know and follow hard after you...to grow as your disciple...lead me on God and I will run after you.

No comments: