Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Scripture vs. Society: Modesty (just a side note)

Emily did an awesome job and covered all the basics but I remembered a couple of things from when I was growing up that I thought I would share with you as well.

The Modesty Heart Check by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughters has some very helpful and simple points if you find that the Modesty Survey is a bit overwhelming! Check it out here:

http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/files/modesty_heart_check3.pdf
(the pages are reversed for some reason so read page 2 first)

Also...God is our ultimate standard of everything good and right. Even when it comes to Modesty we are called to his standard. BUT...since you can't exactly walk up to God and have him approve your new shirt...go to the godly authorities in your life. For me, it was my mom and dad. My mom usually approved it based on "that's cute" and didn't have too much to say about it unless it was SUPER inappropriate...or ugly. My dad on the other hand had the final say so in whether I got to keep what I bought. God placed my dad at the head of our family and therefore my dad is responsible before God for everything that we (my mom and I) do. So every time I bought a new shirt or something, I had to model it for my dad. This might seem a little odd or old fashioned...but think about it...your dad was a teenage boy once...he knows how they think and what will run through their minds when they see you ladies dressed that way. I don't still do it but I did until I understood what types of clothing I could wear. Might be a helpful resource. If your parents aren't really into it or don't know or care what is modest...you can always ask one of your pastors wives or small group leaders or someone like that to help you out or go shopping with you.

No comments: