Thursday, August 2, 2012

Scripture vs. Society: Mediocrity (Just a side note)

Wow...well said Emily. I think she is right on point and I wanted to add my voice to this weeks topic. Mediocrity is definitely something that pricks my heart...it is so easy to just settle for what those around us expect from us rather than stepping up and doing what God calls us to do.

I was talking to my mom about this the other day while we were watching the Olympics...about how interesting it was to be the youngest in a group and no matter how talented you are, it is still surprising to people when you do well. Even sometimes in the church. At one point, I was in a small group where I was the only person under the age of 25(I think I was only 12 or 13). I remember people being shocked every time I opened my mouth and brought something of value. It didn't matter that they'd known me for years or that I regularly contributed to the conversation...they didn't expect it from me because I was young.

Kids these days aren't expected to do anything! If we really want to get down to it, lets go back a few decades even...women my age were probably already married and had children. Children of all ages were expected to wake up early, do chores, tend to the farm, cook, clean, hunt, fish, do laundry, do the dishes, and so much more! Children today can't even be made to put away their own clothes or make their own beds...and heaven forbid unloading the dishwasher!

This is a fail of epic proportions. We have all failed our culture by lowering our expectations. Our older people have given up expecting from us the things that were expected of them when they were our age...and because of that, we who are growing into adulthood are expecting even less of the coming generations. We have to put a stop to this! We cannot continue to allow the expectation level to sink any lower...we have to stand and raise the bar!
1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
Where in that scripture does it say anything about being a teenager or a young adult? Where in there does it say that even though I look like an adult and sound like an adult, I can still act like a child? It doesn't. Plain and simple. This is a call for maturity and the expectation level is pretty high...it's God's expectations for us.

We can no longer afford to be complacent and mediocre...the next generation needs our example. We cannot expect them to do much if we don't do much. We are failing right now...we have fallen to the worlds expectations of us. So wherever you are, put down your game controller...turn off your cell phone and go make your bed, go wash the dishes, go do your own laundry...go outside and see if your neighbor needs help...go get a job or if you have a job start working as if you've never worked before because...
Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
We are called to work for the Lord! We are called to live in this world but not to be of this world! That means not settling for the world's expectations of us. We are working for the kingdom of God...and that means whatever you do (making your bed or making disciples) you must go the extra mile and do things that are hard in order to make a difference...not only in this generation but the next as well. Rise up generation! This is not the time to be mediocre...this world needs us to set an example! Lead the way!

2 comments:

Bali Hotels - Booking Hotels Bali said...

Nice article and beautiful photos............a great blog

Яна Подушко said...

красиво сказано, мне понравилось.