Friday, January 13, 2012

Passion 2012, Session 5


On my last blog post, I made the confession that reading the bible was, for me, not the most exciting or anticipated part of my day. This opinion shifted during session 5 of the Passion 2012 conference. What would have been just a small supportive role to a sermon (the bible verses) took center stage and became everything. In fact, God's word was the only thing said that hour. And it was more alive and important than I had ever allowed scripture to be to me before.

Louie Giglio was so moved by the scriptures he read that he was moved to tears. How many times have I ever let myself put such emotional stock into the bible before?

Beth Moore read with authority and the certainty that what she was reading was absolute, unshakable, and pertinent. Do I hole that same rock solid assurance that what I base my life on is the absolute truth?

Francis Chan and John Piper spoke God's word wish such joy, as if it was the most fantastic thing they ever read. They smiled the entire time. Is this the norm for me? Do I enjoy God's word more than I enjoy the latest New York Times #1 bestseller?

Lecrae Moore surprised me more than anyone I think. He read the scriptures with as much passion and urgency in his voice as he has when he raps. His words flowed in a rhythm that made the bible come alive to me. Am I ever that hype and inspired about scripture?

The verse that hit the closest to me and became my take away was:
Ephesians 4:1 "I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called."
It's really such a simple quote and something that is usually just assumed or overlooked. But when I really thought about the obvious implications of this verse, it became such an important statement about how my life is supposed to be lived out right now.

I'm not supposed to wait until I'm already where I'm supposed to be, to start living like I belong there. For instance, I feel like I'm personally being called into a life of ministry in missions (overseas or domestic, I have no clue yet). I don't want to wait til I'm on a plane to Africa to start living like a missionary. The word "worthy" is important too, I think, because it tells me that it's not okay to be going out and getting into trouble with the sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle and abandon God and the wisdom in His word. And it's not just the hypocrisy that it would create, but it just would not help me to grow in the right direction or achieve what God wants and expects of me.

God is calling me to great things. I don't necessarily mean big things, but great things. we are all called, whether we believe and accept it or not. It's about rising to the occasion in the best and most godly way possible, and not just passing the buck to someone you think is more qualified. God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the people that He calls.
I Refuse
by Josh Wilson

Sometimes I, I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright
When I know they're not
This world needs God, but it's easier to stand and watch
I could pray a prayer and just move on
Like nothing's wrong
But I Refuse

I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I Refuse

I can hear the least of these, crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet of You, oh God
So if You say move, it's time for me to follow through
And do what I was made to do
And show them who You are

I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I Refuse

I refuse to stand and watch the weary and lost cry out for help
I refuse to turn my back and try and act like all is well
I refuse to stay unchanged, to wait another day to die to myself
I refuse to make one more excuse


I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I Refuse


No comments: